LENALID with its active substance lenalidomid, is intended for treatment of:
- Multiple myelomas is a type of cancer that
affects a certain type of white blood cells. These cells accumulate in the bone
marrow can damage the bones and kidneys.
- LENALID is also used alone for the treatment of adult patients diagnosed with it myelodysplastic syndrome, when
● You need regular blood transfusions to treat low levels of red blood cells (anemia dependent on transfusion)
● you have abnormalities of bone marrow cells that your body does not produce enough healthy blood cells.
- LENALID is not recommended for children and young people under 18 years of age.
HOW IS LENALID USED?
LENALID affects the immune system and directly attacks cancer cells by stopping
° the development of cancer cells
° the growth of blood vessels in the tumor tissue
° stimulating the part of the immune system to attack cancer cells.
HOW LENALID EFFECTS IN
· Multiple myeloma
- LENALID may stop the deterioration of signs and symptoms of multiple myeloma:
- LENALID delayed the recurrence of multiple myeloma for up to 48 weeks, compared with 20 weeks those who did not take LENALID.
· Myelodysplastic syndrome
- LENALID can increase the number of healthy red blood cells that the body creates by reducing the number of abnormal cells.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE STARTING THE TREATMENT?
You should not use Lek LENALID if you:
● are pregnant or think you are pregnant or are planning to become pregnant since have kidney disease
WHAT SHOULD YOU INFORM YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT?
● if you had a heart attack, if you smoke, have high blood pressure or high cholesterol level.
● if you have an allergic reactions
THE USE OF LENALID WITH OTHER MEDICINES?
• oral contraceptives
• warfarin- for dilution of blood
HOW IS LENALID USED?
-LENALID capsules should be swallowed whole, once a day, at the same time.
- LENALID is taken in therapeutic cycles that are lasting for 28 days.
- Treatment should continue until your doctor tells you to stop.
- If you take more LENALID than you have prescribed, immediately inform your doctor.
- If you forget to take LENALID at the usual time and
- Less than 12 hours have passed: immediately take your capsule.
- More than 12 hours have passed: do not take your capsule. Get your next capsule at the usual time the next day.
WHAT ARE KNOWN SIDE EFFECTS OF TREATMENT WITH LENALID?
- The reduction of number of white blood cells
- The reduction of blood platelets which can lead to a nose bleeding, bruises or thrombosis
- The reduction of red blood cells that can cause anemia
- Fever, throat inflammation, cough, mouth wounds
- bleeding or bruising in the absence of an injury
- Pain in the chest or leg pain
- fatigue and weakness
- constipation, diarrhea, nausea, skin redness, rash, vomiting,
- Muscle cramps, muscle pain, bone pain, pain in joints
- Generalized swelling
- Infections of all kinds
- Irregular blood pressure or heart rate
- Skin eruptions, skin rash or peeling
- Increased sweating, dehydration
- Painful inflammation of the mucous membrane of the mouth, dry mouth
- Abnormal results of liver function tests
- Inflammation of the colon and inflammation of the bowel.